Skip to main content

Exploring the Practice of Gentle Parenting in a South Asian Context

 Gentle parenting, the term that caught my attention ever since I became pregnant with Seyon. I am aware that many of my fellow Sri Lankans may not be familiar with this term, (Lol) as it is not something that we were exposed to when we were growing up. We are a generation raised with a different parenting style, one where we were often punished for getting sick and blamed it on our screen time.


As I read about other parents' parenting styles and compare them to the way we raise children in Sri Lanka, I am sometimes overwhelmed. I believe that those who practice gentle parenting would definitely disapprove of our parenting practices. Now, I am scared that I will inherit toxic traits from my ancestors. Honestly, I am scared.


Let's be clear, I am not saying that white, privileged people have the best lifestyle, but I am here to address how we were treated like objects, instead of being respected as human beings with natural instincts when we were kids, and how it still continues today.


I once read about a parent who wrote about kissing young children. The parent's grandmother had asked for a kiss in exchange for a treat. The parent who practices gentle parenting had sternly told her mother that "we do not share our bodies in exchange for favors" and that her mother should not expect physical affection from her children, and should not be sad if they do not reciprocate.


They are teaching their children about bodily autonomy and consent. If a child says no to a hug or a kiss, it must be respected. "You can't exchange your body for a treat!" This was a significant statement for me to read, but it is a reality and it is how they practice gentle parenting.


In the South Asian context, this is a big step forward. We have witnessed our grandparents kissing baby boys on their genitals and being proud of the male offspring. This is not an old-day story, as a millennial I have witnessed this in many places.


Apart from this, can we separate our grandparents from our children for the sake of bodily concerns? I don't think we could. I think they have all the rights to demand a kiss from their grand-daughter or the grand-son. But this is not what we practiced. We keep proudly holding the baby's genitals and say "ambila kutty/singam." How far are we in the behavioral evolution in the realm of human civilization? I can't even imagine!


Though there are lot of good practices we Sri Lankans, South Asians have comparatively better solutions for the society, but this made me to write when I saw the following post/pic at this time. But I'm sure our generation parents are way better than the previous generations all over the world. We do really care our little humans for real purposes.


Think about it, as Sri Lankans, are we not even concerned about adults touching adults! I am truly scared of parenting, and I feel like I have a lot to learn. Though I have many dilemmas about gentle parenting, it is fascinating to follow. Any


parents following these kinds of practices? I would be interested to hear your thoughts. We as a society have come a long way, but there is still much to be done. Let's keep the conversation going and strive to be the best parents we can be for our children. 

I want to be clear that I am not suggesting anyone to follow gentle parenting entirely, but I do believe it is a great topic to discuss and consider. It has given me a new perspective and opened my eyes to ways in which I can improve my own parenting style.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

சாமகானமும் காம்போதியும்

முருகையன் ஒரு மொழிபெயர்ப்புச் செய்தார். மொழிபெயர்ப்பு எண்டும் சொல்ல முடியாது,சாதுவா மொழிபெயர்ப்பும்,திறமையான கற்பனையும் போட்டு செய்யுள் வடிவத்தில, இளநலம்! என்ன இளநலமா?ஹையா கிளுகிளுப்பான கதை வரப்போகுது. குமாரசம்பவம் (ஸாரி வேற கண்டென்ட் எண்டு நினைக்கப்படாது, ஐ ஆம் வெரி டீசன்ட்) காளிதாசன் குமாரசம்பவத்தில எழுதின அதே கதையை தமிழில தந்தவர். அதில தான் இந்தக் கதை வருகுது.  சாமகானம் சாமகானம் எண்டு ஒண்டு சொல்லக் கேட்டிருப்பம். “சாமகானம் பாடினான்” எண்டு நாலாம் வகுப்புச் சமய பாட புத்தகத்தில ஒரு பாடம் இருக்கு. பத்துத் தலையும், கையில ஒரு தலையுமாக் கணக்குப் பிழையா மொறாயஸ் கீறின இராவணனிண்ட மீசை வெச்ச படம் இருக்கும், இப்ப ஞாபகம் வந்துட்டுதா? அந்தக் காலத்திலேயே தலைகளிண்ட கணக்கை எண்ணிப் பாத்தனாங்கள் ஆக்கும். (தலைக்கணக்கு முக்கியம் அமைச்சரே) இப்ப சாமகானத்தைப்பற்றிப் பாப்பம். காளிதாசன் குமாரசம்பவம் எழுதேக்க, சும்மா கற்பனைகுதிரையை காட்டாற்று வெள்ளம் போல பறக்க விடுறேர்.  மிஸ்டர் சிவனும் மிசஸ் உமாவும் கலியாணமான புதிசில, (ஏன் கல்யாணமான பழசில யாரும் வெளிய போறதில்ல எண்டு நெடுங்காலமா டவுட்) சும்மா வெளிய வெளிக்

இராவணேசன் ; Maunaguru's 'Ravanesan'

நெறியாள்கை - பேராசிரியர் மௌனகுரு. இடம் -கொழும்பு கலை இலக்கியப் பேரவை. காலம்- சனி(13.02.2010)  மாலை 6.30மணி. சனி மாலை(13.02.2010) பேராசிரியர் மௌனகுரு அவர்களின் 'இராவணேசன்' நாடகம் நடைபெறவிருக்கிறதென்று நண்பரொருவர் தகவல் சொன்னார். இருந்த எல்லா வேலைகளையும் புறந்தள்ளி விட்டேன். நாடகங்கள் என்றவுடன்  வரும் இந்த தொலைகாட்சி சீரியல்களையே கண் ஞாபகத்தில் கொண்டுவந்து முகத்தை அஷ்ட கோணலாக்குகிறது. மேடையமைப்பும், அரங்கமும்,அரிதாரம் பூசிக்கொண்ட பாத்திரங்களும், நேரடியான காட்சிகளூட்டும் கிளர்வும், எங்களுக்கு முன்னாள் ஒரு தலைமுறை இதனூடே வாழ்ந்து காட்டியிருக்கிற விடயமும் தெரிவதில்லை. மாற்றங்கள் மட்டுமே மாறிக் கொண்டிருந்தாலும்,எங்களின் முன்னோடிகள் வழி வந்த கலைப் பாதையை எடுத்தியம்புதலுக்கும்,அதற்கான வரவேற்புக்கும் இங்கு இடமில்லை எனும் போது அவற்றையெல்லாம் தாண்டி மனதில் எங்கேயோ வலிக்கிறது. எங்களுடைய காலத்தில், முழுமையான கூத்துக்கலையோ, அரங்காடல்ககளையோ  காண்பதற்கு காலமோ மாற்றமோ ஏதோவொன்று இடந்தரவில்லை .இருப்பினும் யாராவது எங்கள்  நலிந்து போன கலைகளை மறுபடியும் இளஞ்சமுதாயத்திட்கு க

குழந்தைகளுக்கான நவீன தமிழ்ப் பெயர்கள்

குழந்தைகளுக்கு தமிழில் பெயர் வைத்தல் எனும்போது, இவ்வளவு காலமும் வைத்த பெயர்கள் தமிழ்ப்பெயர்கள் இல்லையா எனும் கேள்வி எம்மில் பலருக்கு எழும். உங்கள் பெரும்பாலானோர் தமிழ்ப்பெயர் என்று எண்ணிக்கொண்டிருக்கும் உங்கள் பெயரை வட இந்தியக் கலப்பு,சமக்கிருத கலப்பு,ஐரோப்பிய,அரேபியக் கலப்புடனான பெயராக இனங்காணுவீர்கள்.  தமிழில் பெயர் சூட்டுவது இனத்துவேசம் உள்ள செயலா? :P இனத்தைக் கொண்டாடக் கூடிய செயல். மறத்தமிழன் என்று அடைமொழி இட்டுக்கொண்டு உலாவுவதை விட அழகான செயல் என்று எண்ணுகிறேன். இந்த அடையாளம் மிக அழகானது.  அண்மையில் நிறையப் பேர் தமிழில் குழந்தைகளூக்கான நவீனமான பெயர்கள் வேண்டும் என்று கேட்டிருந்தார்கள். தமிழில் பெயர்கள் பழமையானவையாக இருப்பது கூட இக்காலத்தோரின் தெரிவுக்குட்படாமைக்கு ஒரு காரணமாகும். பெண் குழந்தைகளுக்கான பெயர்கள் சிலவற்றை தொகுத்திருக்கிறேன்.சிலவற்றை கண்டும் பிடித்திருக்கிறேன். ( பிற்காலத்தேவைகளுக்கு ;)  ) வினைச்சொல் பெயர்கள் அஞ்சா ஆராதி ஆனந்தி  சலனி கோளறா இசி இனி தேயா மேதா வேயா வேகா மின்னு மிதவா தெகிழா நெகி