Skip to main content

Overcoming a Rut: A Personal Journey

Falling into a rut is something that happens to all of us, but how do we get out? It can be hard to recognize when we're in a rut and to motivate ourselves to move on. I've been feeling less than my best lately; like my life is stuck in a rut. I've even found myself watching TV series to pass the time. Recently, I became obsessed with a Tamil show called "OFFICE" and watched all of it in a week. Now, I'm bored and feeling empty. TV shows aren't usually my thing, as I don't have the patience to wait until the end of an episode, and I don't have time to watch them all. Additionally, some people become so busy that they don't have time for leisure activities, and I'm in that category right now. I'm just going through the motions of my mundane tasks. I'm also really over summer. Sometimes I feel like I can't take another day in this hot weather. I've had some new experiences this summer because of my internship, one of which was watching TV series during my breaks. It's hectic and exciting. I go to work at 10 am in the hot sun, and I use my laptop to watch "OFFICE" while I'm at the office. No one notices, and I close the YouTube tab to chat with my best friend instead. My internship has pushed me out of my comfort zone a few times. I've been expected to learn a lot of new things quickly and to do them well. There were times when my head was so full of new information that it was hard to remember everything. But I took on this challenge, as I like to be tested. I wonder if the rut I'm in has something to do with social media? I do like to stay in touch with my friends through social networking, but that's not always possible. Some of my friends live far away, and we're all so busy that it's hard to find time to connect. Without social media, I might not be able to keep in touch with some people at all. I think virtual relationships can be valid, especially when you only see each other occasionally. It's just that we worry about being too perfect online. On days when I crave human connection and adult conversation, I often find myself turning to social media to connect with others. But this has contributed to my feeling stuck in a rut. To be honest, it's been a combination of things that have put me in this rut. I've been working on my internship papers, preparing lecture slides, attending tutorial sessions, and helping out with a project called "Kuppy." I've also had a lot of last-minute projects to deal with and I've been struggling to get enough sleep. Lately, I've had a lot of rough days. I feel like I'm not doing a good job of either making others feel good or making myself feel good. It feels like I have a million things to do, even though I don't. Research papers are the worst thing I'm dealing with right now, and they're causing me to lose sleep. My mom is asking everyone how she can get my "toddler girl" (me) to sleep through the night. I know one night of lost sleep won't make a difference, but it keeps happening and it shows on my face and gives me gastritis in the morning. Another challenge is lecturing to adult students, which is the hardest thing in the world, especially when you're nearly their age. It's tough to get paid to do it. There's a hiring freeze for young staff but that doesn't apply to me as an engineering associate lecturer, even though I'm only 23 and a recent graduate of the same university where I'm now teaching. The challenges of lecturing have made me feel even more aware of my age and gender. For example, when I was put in charge of a class of almost 90 students for the first time, I hadn't even finished my degree yet. Despite all of these challenges, I'm trying not to worry too much about them. Instead, I'm focusing on finding ways to get out of this rut and move forward. I know that it won't be easy, but I'm determined to make positive changes and improve my situation.

Nila 2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

சாமகானமும் காம்போதியும்

முருகையன் ஒரு மொழிபெயர்ப்புச் செய்தார். மொழிபெயர்ப்பு எண்டும் சொல்ல முடியாது,சாதுவா மொழிபெயர்ப்பும்,திறமையான கற்பனையும் போட்டு செய்யுள் வடிவத்தில, இளநலம்! என்ன இளநலமா?ஹையா கிளுகிளுப்பான கதை வரப்போகுது. குமாரசம்பவம் (ஸாரி வேற கண்டென்ட் எண்டு நினைக்கப்படாது, ஐ ஆம் வெரி டீசன்ட்) காளிதாசன் குமாரசம்பவத்தில எழுதின அதே கதையை தமிழில தந்தவர். அதில தான் இந்தக் கதை வருகுது.  சாமகானம் சாமகானம் எண்டு ஒண்டு சொல்லக் கேட்டிருப்பம். “சாமகானம் பாடினான்” எண்டு நாலாம் வகுப்புச் சமய பாட புத்தகத்தில ஒரு பாடம் இருக்கு. பத்துத் தலையும், கையில ஒரு தலையுமாக் கணக்குப் பிழையா மொறாயஸ் கீறின இராவணனிண்ட மீசை வெச்ச படம் இருக்கும், இப்ப ஞாபகம் வந்துட்டுதா? அந்தக் காலத்திலேயே தலைகளிண்ட கணக்கை எண்ணிப் பாத்தனாங்கள் ஆக்கும். (தலைக்கணக்கு முக்கியம் அமைச்சரே) இப்ப சாமகானத்தைப்பற்றிப் பாப்பம். காளிதாசன் குமாரசம்பவம் எழுதேக்க, சும்மா கற்பனைகுதிரையை காட்டாற்று வெள்ளம் போல பறக்க விடுறேர்.  மிஸ்டர் சிவனும் மிசஸ் உமாவும் கலியாணமான புதிசில, (ஏன் கல்யாணமான பழசில யாரும் வெளிய போறதில்ல எண்டு நெடுங்காலமா டவுட்) சும்மா வெளிய வெளிக்

இராவணேசன் ; Maunaguru's 'Ravanesan'

நெறியாள்கை - பேராசிரியர் மௌனகுரு. இடம் -கொழும்பு கலை இலக்கியப் பேரவை. காலம்- சனி(13.02.2010)  மாலை 6.30மணி. சனி மாலை(13.02.2010) பேராசிரியர் மௌனகுரு அவர்களின் 'இராவணேசன்' நாடகம் நடைபெறவிருக்கிறதென்று நண்பரொருவர் தகவல் சொன்னார். இருந்த எல்லா வேலைகளையும் புறந்தள்ளி விட்டேன். நாடகங்கள் என்றவுடன்  வரும் இந்த தொலைகாட்சி சீரியல்களையே கண் ஞாபகத்தில் கொண்டுவந்து முகத்தை அஷ்ட கோணலாக்குகிறது. மேடையமைப்பும், அரங்கமும்,அரிதாரம் பூசிக்கொண்ட பாத்திரங்களும், நேரடியான காட்சிகளூட்டும் கிளர்வும், எங்களுக்கு முன்னாள் ஒரு தலைமுறை இதனூடே வாழ்ந்து காட்டியிருக்கிற விடயமும் தெரிவதில்லை. மாற்றங்கள் மட்டுமே மாறிக் கொண்டிருந்தாலும்,எங்களின் முன்னோடிகள் வழி வந்த கலைப் பாதையை எடுத்தியம்புதலுக்கும்,அதற்கான வரவேற்புக்கும் இங்கு இடமில்லை எனும் போது அவற்றையெல்லாம் தாண்டி மனதில் எங்கேயோ வலிக்கிறது. எங்களுடைய காலத்தில், முழுமையான கூத்துக்கலையோ, அரங்காடல்ககளையோ  காண்பதற்கு காலமோ மாற்றமோ ஏதோவொன்று இடந்தரவில்லை .இருப்பினும் யாராவது எங்கள்  நலிந்து போன கலைகளை மறுபடியும் இளஞ்சமுதாயத்திட்கு க

குழந்தைகளுக்கான நவீன தமிழ்ப் பெயர்கள்

குழந்தைகளுக்கு தமிழில் பெயர் வைத்தல் எனும்போது, இவ்வளவு காலமும் வைத்த பெயர்கள் தமிழ்ப்பெயர்கள் இல்லையா எனும் கேள்வி எம்மில் பலருக்கு எழும். உங்கள் பெரும்பாலானோர் தமிழ்ப்பெயர் என்று எண்ணிக்கொண்டிருக்கும் உங்கள் பெயரை வட இந்தியக் கலப்பு,சமக்கிருத கலப்பு,ஐரோப்பிய,அரேபியக் கலப்புடனான பெயராக இனங்காணுவீர்கள்.  தமிழில் பெயர் சூட்டுவது இனத்துவேசம் உள்ள செயலா? :P இனத்தைக் கொண்டாடக் கூடிய செயல். மறத்தமிழன் என்று அடைமொழி இட்டுக்கொண்டு உலாவுவதை விட அழகான செயல் என்று எண்ணுகிறேன். இந்த அடையாளம் மிக அழகானது.  அண்மையில் நிறையப் பேர் தமிழில் குழந்தைகளூக்கான நவீனமான பெயர்கள் வேண்டும் என்று கேட்டிருந்தார்கள். தமிழில் பெயர்கள் பழமையானவையாக இருப்பது கூட இக்காலத்தோரின் தெரிவுக்குட்படாமைக்கு ஒரு காரணமாகும். பெண் குழந்தைகளுக்கான பெயர்கள் சிலவற்றை தொகுத்திருக்கிறேன்.சிலவற்றை கண்டும் பிடித்திருக்கிறேன். ( பிற்காலத்தேவைகளுக்கு ;)  ) வினைச்சொல் பெயர்கள் அஞ்சா ஆராதி ஆனந்தி  சலனி கோளறா இசி இனி தேயா மேதா வேயா வேகா மின்னு மிதவா தெகிழா நெகி